+ Photos Only + Advanced Search
Printer-friendly Printer-friendly

DP Camps in Germany

Title: DP Camps in Germany
Inclusive Dates: 1945-1952
ID: RG 294.2 
expand icon Extent Information
52'11"; 127 5"; 21 map folders
expand icon Arrangement
The collection is arranged in the following series: I) Central Committee of Liberated Jews in the American  Zone (folders 1-229); II) Camps & Centers, A-E (230-259); III) Camp Feldafing (260-557); IV) Camp Foehrenwald (558-762); V) Camps & Centers, F-Z (763-1046); VI) Union of Employees of the Central Committee (1047-1074); VII) Union of Invalids (1075-1190); VIII) Unions of Jewish students (1191-1276); IX) Landsmanshaftn (1277-1298); X) Jewish Actors Union (1299-1338); XI) Various D.P. Unions (13339-1352); XII) Zionist parties (1353-1389); XIII) ORT (1390-1496); XIV) AJDC (1497-1537); XV) Various organizations (addenda) (1538-1564); XVI) Miscellaneous printed materials (1565-1569); XVII) British Zone (1570-1627); XVIII) Berlin, French Zone (1628-1635); XIX) Supplements of various series (1636-1647)
expand icon Administrative/Biographical History
The Displaced Persons Camps and Centers in the American Zone of Germany were established by UNRRA (United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Agency) and the U.S. Army in order to provide care to thousands of former inmates of Nazi concentration camps and forced labor units.  Camp residents also included Holocaust survivors who did not wish to return to their country of origin such as Polish Jews who fled Poland after the pogrom in Kielce in 1946.  The camps, which existed from 1945 until 1953, provided temporary shelter, health, cultural, educational and financial programs, and immigration services.      Until 1947 the official administrator of the DP program was UNRRA.  In 1947 the IRO (International Refugee Organization) took over this role.  The internal administration of the camps as well as the assistance programs were handled by the Central Committee of Liberated Jews and its local branches.  The American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee as well as other Jewish organizations such as the Jewish Agency and the World Jewish Congress provided substantial material support and immigration aid.      The DP camps in the British Zone were administered by the British army. The DP population in the British Zone was represented by the Central Jewish Committee which had its seat in the Bergen-Belsen DP camp.      By 1953 most of the camp residents had immigrated to Israel or the U.S. or to other countries.  The flow of immigration was facilitated by the Displaced Persons Act of 1948 and the establishment of the State of Israel.
expand icon Forms of Material (links to similar genres)
expand icon Finding Aid Information
Inventory: English, 132 pp., typed
expand icon Administrative Information
Access Notes: YIVO Archives collections are open to researchers only by appointment with an archivist. To inquire about papers and records, write to Chief Archivist, archives@yivo.cjh.org. To inquire about photographs and films, write to Photo and Film Archivist at kfisher@yivo.cjh.org or to jacohen@yivo.cjh.org. To inquire about sound recordings, write to Sound Archivist, lsklamberg@yivo.cjh.org. For art works and artifacts, write to Chief Archivist at archives@yivo.cjh.org.
Rights: The images, documents, film footage, audio materials, and texts displayed in any portion of this web site may be copyrighted. Permission to use this web site is given on condition that the user agrees to follow U.S. copyright laws. The user agrees that she or he assumes liability for any copyright violations resulting from unauthorized use of items appearing on this web site and to hold YIVO harmless from any action involving copyright infringement. It is the responsibility of the user to carry out a due diligence search under U.S. c opyright laws to determine the copyright status of items displayed on this web site.

The materials on this web site may be used for personal, research and educational purposes only. Publication (including posting on the Internet and online exhibitions) or any other use without prior authorization is prohibited. To request permission for use of these materials, please apply in writing to: YIVO Archives, YIVO Institute for Jewish Research, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011, archives@yivo.cjh.org.

Other Formats: MK 483 (117) [incl.#37A]
© 2013 YIVO Institute for Jewish Research Terms of Use Privacy Policy

Archive powered by Archon Version 3.14
Copyright © 2011 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign